Friday, January 18, 2013

Whoopsy, this is sort of delayed.

  I'm a dummy and haven't updated this in ages, however a whole lot of nobody reads this so I don't think too many people are grumpy at me... maybe. If it's any consolation, I kind of live at work, literally. I got a gig in Rocanville, Saskatchewan working at a remote camp on a project that primarily deals with potash which is fertilizer. Yep, they deal with shit for plants, literally. I'm not digging for it, I cook for the 1100 people that do that stuff for 21 or more days out of the month. Yeah, take that you 40-hours-a-week-ers. I work about as much as a "normal" person works in the span of a month in two weeks. It's awkward when your friends in the town your apartment is in ask if you want to grab supper on the weekend and you reply with "How about the end of next month?"

   The cooking gig isn't bad, but it sort of gets depressing the longer you stay; it kind of explains the massive turnover - even when you don't have attachments like manfriends/ladypals, kids, pets the fact that your workplace is completely counter-intuitive to establishing and maintaining relationships kind of kicks you in the ass. I can't imagine how awkward it would be like to explain to someone you get along with outside of work (out of the whole six days you're not at work)

                                  "Hey, I like you. By the way, I spend 21 days or more out of the month with about 1000 other guys. That's OK right?" 

                                                               Yeah, good luck with that one.
It works well if you trust one another but regardless, it's not just the trust you require it's the fact there isn't much of any closeness or anything for the vast majority of the time. Skype dates get boring, internet connections in most remote areas is completely garbage and phone reception is right up there with finding a unicorn
Some people end up finding someone they dig in camps, which is sort of lucky but you've got to be careful. There's a whole lot of people that will lie to you in that kinda place because most people go there can really say anything they want and there isn't much of anyone to say otherwise, unless they have a sibling or buddy that knows them there that can be like "What the heck? Why is Tim telling chicks he's single when he's married with kids?" Dude, Tim thinks he's single because there's a chick in camp that isn't 47 and completely oblivious to his wedding ring. Not everybody is like this but just like anyone else you have to be careful who you meet. 


  This place kind of forces you to make friends, or to be a room hermit. Depends on how much of an extrovert you are. I see my coworkers more then I see my family and friends and I don't know whether that is good or bad sometimes, I know when everybody else goes on turnaround but half the time I don't know when mine is.  Overall, at this point I don't mind it, but you definitely need some separation from work, more work and a social life but that's harder to do when you're a "local" and bump into at least 2 people from work on the few days you don't have work.  

Cheers!  

 


1 comment:

  1. I've been working this gig (80kms North of Ft Mac)for 5 years and I get all of this.
    So many slimy liars here. Also lots of bad rumors. Apparently you can't be friends with a guy without blowing him. I think it stems from the jealous married men that you don't give the time of day because you're not a home wrecker. Well if you aren't fucking them, you must be fucking that 50 year old guy that you always hang with. It couldn't be because they're a genuine, safe, person that you enjoy hanging out with. Nope. Never.

    ReplyDelete